Yesterday, I had the fun chance to be Ms. Wiederkehr’s Monday mystery reader! Reading the book inspired today’s post, you’ll see why when you check out the video here:
Now for the song…can you listen once, then make a list of the numbers and the rhyming words that go with them from memory? Then, try singing it!
Alright, now back to those jazz musicians I was talking about in the book! If you want to learn about the real people we read about, here are the musicians that go with each number, and some links to learn more:
- Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong
- Bill “Bojangles” Robinson
- For my big kids, this video gives an in depth look at his life and career.
- Luciano “Chano” Pozo y Gonzalez
- For my big kids, learn about Chano Pozo’s home-Havana, Cuba
- Edward Kennedy “Duke” Ellington
- Charlie “Bird” Parker
- Art “Bu” Blakey
- John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie
- Thomas Wright “Fats” Waller His nickname always makes us giggle! You might recognize the waiter in that clip from earlier...here’s another clip from the movie that will help. Can you guess who it is now?
- Charles “Baron” Mingus
If you want to learn more about jazz history, I really like this playlist of jazz history videos to help you dig a little deeper.